Which of the following phrases have you used or heard used in a negotiation? Be honest. Better yet, ask your colleagues how they see you. Give yourself 1 point for each phrase you have ever said and 2 points if you say something like it often. If a particular phrase is not in your vocabulary, give yourself a 0.
1. ____ That’s not the way we do things here.
2. ____ That is my final offer.
3. ____ You will have to do better than that; otherwise, we don’t have a deal.
4. ____ What is your most important issue?
5. ____ According to my records, that is not what we agreed to.
6. ____ I want to share some of my interests with you.
7. ____ I am calling my attorney (or any mention of an attorney). ...