Everything you need to get started with installing, configuring, and administering Apache Karaf is contained in this book. All that’s required is some basic Java and you’re set to go and start developing applications using the OSGi container.
- Understand Apache Karaf's commands and control capabilities
- Gain familiarity with its provisioning features
- Explore various application deployments targets experientially
Apache Karaf is more than just an OSGi-based runtime container; it’s an ecosystem of open source technologies that makes operating and managing applications easier. Karaf supports hot deployment of OSGi bundles by monitoring jar files inside the [home]/deploy directory. Each time a jar is copied in this folder, it will be installed inside the runtime. You can then update or delete it, and changes will be handled automatically. In addition, Karaf also supports exploded bundles and custom deployers.
Learning Apache Karaf will introduce developers and administrators alike to the OSGi-based container, and impart best practices by example. The book shows you how to set up an Apache Karaf distribution, and how to arrive at a production-ready deployment. Learning Apache Karaf teaches you everything you need to install, configure, and administer Apache Karaf.
Learning Apache Karaf will help guide you through the complexity of an OSGi container using sample code and configuration snippets to demonstrate the important aspects of managing and running a Karaf instance.
Learning to install and command the runtime is just the beginning; deploying and provisioning applications is just as important to the successful implementation of a stable and scalable architecture. You will discover how to monitor runtime environments using remote access, logging, and JMX, and you will also develop production-level architectures with high availability and security.
Table of Contents
Learning Apache Karaf
- Table of Contents
- Learning Apache Karaf
- About the Authors
- About the Reviewers
- 1. Installing Apache Karaf
- 2. Commanding the Runtime
- 3. System Configuration and Tuning
- 4. Provisioning
5. Deploying Applications
- Deploying bundles
- Deploying feature descriptors
- Deploying non-OSGi JARs (wrap)
- Deploying WAR
- Deploying Spring/Blueprint
- Creating and deploying a Karaf Archive
- 6. Deploying Production-grade Apache Karaf
- 7. Apache Karaf Cellar
- 8. Our Final Programming Project
- A. Apache Karaf Commands
- Title: Learning Apache Karaf
- Release date: October 2013
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781782172048