Learn programming in Kotlin including data types, flow control, lambdas, object-oriented, and functional programming while building 3 Android AppsAbout This Book
- Experience the gentle learning curve of Kotlin as you develop your own applications
- Learn how to integrate Kotlin into Android Studio and use it in your projects
- Build real-world applications such as Googly Eyes and games using Kotlin
If you are completely new to Kotlin or the Android platform and need to publish Android applications for fun or for business purposes, but you have no clue where to start, then this book is for you. This book is also for advanced Android developers who want to learn to use Kotlin instead of/alongside Java for Android development, although having some programming experience would be advantageous.What You Will Learn
- Learn the basics of using the Android Studio IDE and a number of basic programming concepts in Kotlin
- Discover Android development by building Android apps with Kotlin
- Uncover some amazing features of Kotlin that give it the upper hand over Java
- Kotlin Interoperability with Java
- Integrate Crashlytics for crash reporting and beta testing.
- Use Google Location services and understand various APIs available for getting user location updates
- Understand the principles of networking and communication.
- Learn about the usage of third-party libraries for loading of data
- Automate your build process with continuous integration tools
Today Kotlin is an official programming language for Android development and is widely adopted. Kotlin is expressive, concise, and powerful. It also ensures seamless interoperability with existing Android languages like JAVA and C++, which makes it easier to learn a new language for their most favored platform.
This book adopts a project-style approach, where we focus on teaching Android development by building three different Android Application, namely Building you Tic-Tac-Toe application, Developing your location based alarm and lastly a To-Do list application.
The book begins by giving you a strong grasp of the Kotlin language and its APIs as a preliminary to building stunning applications for Android. You'll learn to set up an environment as the difficulty level grows steadily, in line with applications covered in later chapters.
The book also introduces you to the Android Studio IDE, which plays an integral role in Android Development. It covers Kotlin's basic programming concepts such as functions, lambdas, properties, object-oriented code, safety aspects and type parameterization, testing, and concurrency, and helps you write Kotlin code to production.
Finally, you'll be taken through the process of releasing your app on the Google Play Store. You will also be introduced to other app distribution channels such as Amazon App Store.
As a bonus chapter, you will also learn how to use the Google Faces API to detect faces and add fun functionalities.Style and approach
This book has a project-style approach where we focus on teaching Android development by building Android Apps with the Kotlin programming language. In the process you learn about Android development as well as Kotlin and its features. This book does not assume any prior knowledge of Android development.
Downloading the example code for this book You can download the example code files for all Packt books you have purchased from your account at http://www.PacktPub.com. If you purchased this book elsewhere, you can visit http://www.PacktPub.com/support and register to have the files e-mailed directly to you.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Copyright and Credits
- Packt Upsell
Setting Up for Android Development
- Why develop Android with Kotlin?
Setting up your environment
- Android Studio
- Creating your first Android project
- Building your project
- Running your app
- Configuring Your Environment for Kotlin
- Data Types, Variables, and Constants
- Classes and Objects
- Type Checks and Null Safety
- Functions and Lambdas
- Developing Your Location-Based Alarm
- Working with Google's Location Services
- Connecting the Outside World – Networking
- Developing a Simple To-Do List App
Persisting with Databases
- Introduction to databases
- Setting Reminders for Tasks
Testing and Continuous Integration
- Stages of testing
Making Your App Available to the World
- Key store generation
- Publishing the app in Google Play Store
- Publishing the app in Amazon Appstore
- Building an App Using the Google Faces API
- Other Books You May Enjoy
- Title: Learning Kotlin by building Android Applications
- Release date: June 2018
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781788474641
You might also like
51+ hours of video instruction. Overview The professional programmer’s Deitel® video guide to Python development with …
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …
Learning Concurrency in Kotlin
Take advantage of Kotlin's concurrency primitives to write efficient multithreaded applications Key Features Learn Kotlin's unique …
Hands-On Design Patterns with Kotlin
About This Book Make the most of Kotlin by leveraging design patterns and best practices to …