Tell your data story with Power BI and reach millions of users with a single click on any kind of a device. Using Power BI, you can combine your data sources, create stunning visualizations, and embed your story on your website within seconds. The goal of this course is to teach you how to use raw data, monitor it, and visualize it in a form that will provide rich insights with the help of dashboards.
You will start with a set of business requirements for an example project from a client. Initially, you will connect to a data file. You'll run through the process of connecting to your data, transform it, and then build the data model. This will help you understand and determine which DAX calculations are needed to meet the business requirements. Finally, you will build out an interactive and functional report and a detailed dashboard, and publish them on PowerBI.com.
When it comes to learning Power BI, this course will ensure that you have the necessary tricks of the trade for effective insights and simplified visual analytics.
Special assignment labs and student files on every hands-on concept for better understanding
What You Will Learn
- Connect to nearly ANY data source quickly and easily
- Easily transform data and automate data tasks with Power Query
- Understand the importance of Data Modeling for optimization and performance
- Create powerful calculations and analytics with DAX
- Importance of a Calendar Table
- Picking the right visual based on your data
- Create interactive reports with slicers
- Publishing reports and creating dashboards
This video is for BI professionals, developers, engineers, IT Managers, or power users who want to gain insights from their business data using Microsoft Power BI.
About The Author
Reid Havens: Reid Havens is the Founder of Havens Consulting Inc. and a Microsoft MVP. He has a formal background in technology and organizational management, having obtained separate Master's Degrees in Organizational Development & Business Analytics. Reid has experience working with many of the Fortune 50, 100, & 500 companies. Additionally he guest lectures at the University of Washington and other universities, teaching Business Intelligence, Reporting, & Data Visualization.
Reid is also an avid content developer, having authored numerous articles and videos on various blog sites and video platforms. He's also written multiple training curriculum's for PowerPivotPro, and taught them as a Principal Consultant at dozens of companies around the world. He also developed college level classes for Bellevue College and The University of Washington. Reid is also currently developing multiple online video series on Learning & Mastering Power BI for Packt Publishing.
Table of contents
Chapter 1 : Project Requirements and Getting Data
- The Course Overview
- What Is the Flow of Report Development for a Business Analyst?
- Reviewing Project Requirements and Determining Data Sources
- Connecting to (Almost) Any Data Source with Power Query
- Importing Data and Power Query Fundamentals
- Connecting to a Folder as a Data Source
- Table Types and Relational Data Modeling
- Chapter 2 : Common Data Transformations
- Chapter 3 : Data Modeling and Relationships
- Chapter 4 : Data Analytics with DAX Measures
Chapter 5 : Data Visualization and Modern Reporting
- Visual Cues and Chart Types
- Creating Visualizations – Matrix Table
- Creating Visualizations – Running Total Chart
- Creating Visualizations – Column and Line Chart (Year-Over-Year Profits %)
- Creating Visualizations – Conditional Formatting and Waterfall Charts
- Creating Visualizations – Card Visualizations and Title Section
- Slicers and Filter Settings
- Formatting and Report Design
- Chapter 6 : Report Publishing and the Power BI Service
- Title: Learning Microsoft Power BI
- Release date: October 2018
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781789347104
You might also like
Learning Microsoft Power BI
Microsoft Power BI is a data analytics and visualization tool powerful enough for the most demanding …
Microsoft Power BI - A Complete Introduction [2023 EDITION]
Learn to achieve your business intelligence goals with Power BI’s comprehensive tools in this video course. …
Introduction to Microsoft Power BI (Video)
7+ Hours of Video Instruction Discover how you can use Power BI to help your organization …
Microsoft Power BI - The Complete Masterclass [2023 EDITION]
Microsoft Power BI is an interactive data visualization software primarily focusing on business intelligence, part of …