Create forward compatible websites using feature detection features of HTML5 Modernizr.
- Build a progressive experience using a vast array of detected CSS3 features
- Replace images with CSS based counterparts
- Learn the benefits of detecting features instead of checking the name and version of the browser and serving accordingly
Modern web browsers support a whole range of new HTML5 and CSS3 features that make web development fun. But supporting old browsers can make a web developer's life difficult. With HTML5 Modernizr, you can check for features and deliver a design around them that is not only backward, but also forward compatible.
You will also learn how to implement the bulk of today’s leading CSS3 features not limited to animations, text shadow, content generation, and more. You will also learn to change the page using media queries to determine the dimensions of the page and alter the content accordingly as well as HTML5 features such as localstorage so you can save content to the browser.
You will learn everything you need to know in order to design progressively using feature detection. Prepare your design to not just handle legacy browsers, but additionally for the HTML5 standard features you know will be added into subsequent versions of the browser.
Table of Contents
- Table of Contents
- Learning Modernizr
- About the Author
- About the Reviewers
- 1. Getting Started with Modernizr
2. Installing Modernizr
- Creating the foundation
- Downloading the Modernizr library
- Blocking versus non blocking
- Styling the page
- Determining the base experience
- The core HTML
- Google fonts API
- The CSS
3. Using Modernizr the Right Way
- Frame 1 – swapping images for CSS
- Frame 2 – multiple backgrounds, text shadow, and RGBA color
- Frame 3 – box reflect, HSLA color, and generated content
- Frame 4 – animations
- Frame 5 – putting it all together and making it rain
- 4. Customizing to Your Unique Needs
- Title: Learning Modernizr
- Release date: December 2012
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781782160229