Subtitles allow you to display text while your video is being played back. This can be to:
- Translate foreign dialogs to the native language of the viewers
- Make ambiguous dialogs or whispering clear
- Add comments
There is really no limit to what you can do with subtitles nor should you restrict yourself; the great thing about home-made videos is creativity!
Many methods exist to insert subtitles to a video; you can specifically:
- "Burn" the subtitles in the video or in other words, make them part of the video at the pixel level
- Attach them to the video as a text stream.
- Attach them to the video, externally, as text; this means they are not contained in the same file, but can be displayed using additional software
Naturally, each method has its own ...