Let's Connect a Deal
If a man does not make new acquaintances, as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone.
Do you know someone who seems to know everybody? Have you ever wondered, “How do they meet all those people?” Regardless of your expertise or specialty, connecting with the right people can propel your career faster than almost anything else besides the media.
One Degree of Separation
Six degrees of separation is five too many. Cultivate enough clients, friends, relatives, and acquaintances that it would take you only one phone call to make the connection that will solve your problem, create a new lead, or get you a new client. You've all heard since childhood, “Make new friends, but keep the old.” Make enough friends, and you'll never be at a loss for anything—business or otherwise.
There are several ways to make mutually productive connections. All of them work, and each has advantages and disadvantages.
Let's look at the ways we can connect with someone we want to meet:
- Start from the bottom, networking our way up that person's corporate ladder.
- Start at the top by going straight to the source.
- Position ourselves to be in the right place at the right time.
- Connect from the inside out by expanding our network of contacts and industries.
- Connect from the outside in, working our way into a company or individual's “inner circle.” This is what is known as old-fashioned cold calling, and although it's the most difficult way to ...