The portal supports six different types of plugins out of the box—Portlets, Themes, Layout Templates, Webs, Hooks, and Ext. Note that a single plugin can contain multiple portlets, themes, and hook packages in a single WAR file logically:
- Portlets: Web applications that run in a portion of a web page
- Themes: Look and feel of pages
- Layout Templates: Ways of choosing how the portlets will be arranged on a page
- Hooks: Allow hooking into the portal's core functionality—for example, the plugin Asset Importer, a portlet with hook, which reads a file and converts it into web content and uses hook service
- Webs: Regular Java EE web modules designed to work with the portal, such as ESB (Enterprise Service Bus), SSO (Single Sign-On), and so ...