How individuals and communities can profit from local investing
In the wake of the financial crisis, investors are faced with a stark choice: entrust their hard-earned dollars to the Wall Street casino, or settle for anemic interest rates on savings, bonds, and CDs. Meanwhile, small businesses are being starved for the credit and capital they need to grow. There's got to be a better way.
In Locavesting: The Revolution in Local Investing and How to Profit from It, Amy Cortese takes us inside the local investing movement, where solutions to some of the nation's most pressing problems are taking shape. The idea is that, by investing in local businesses, rather than faceless conglomerates, investors can earn profits while building healthy, self-reliant communities.
Introduces you to the ideas and pioneers behind the local investing movement
Profiles the people and communities who are putting their money to work in their own backyards and taking control of their destinies
Explores innovative investment strategies, from community capital and crowdfunding to local stock exchanges
With confidence in Wall Street and the government badly shaken, Americans are looking for alternatives. Local investing offers a way to rebuild our nest eggs, communities, and, just perhaps, our country.
Table of Contents
- Preface: Starting Anew
- Introduction: Cereal Milk for the Gods
Part One: The Economics of Local
- Chapter 1: Motherhood, Apple Pie, and Political Theatre
- Chapter 2: Blue Skies, Pipe Dreams, and the Lure of Easy Money
- Chapter 3: Buy Local, Eat Local . . . Invest Local
- Chapter 4: The Local Imperative
Part Two: Experiments in Citizen Finance
- Chapter 5: The Last Real Banker?
- Chapter 6: The Biggest-Impact Financial Sector You’ve Never Heard Of
- Chapter 7: A Model to LIONize
- Chapter 8: Community Capital
- Chapter 9: Pennies from Many
- Chapter 10: Slow Money
- Chapter 11: From Brown Rice to Biofuels
- Chapter 12: The Do-It-Yourself Public Offering
- Chapter 13: Back to the Future
- Title: Locavesting: The Revolution in Local Investing and How to Profit from it
- Release date: June 2011
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780470911389