The HAZOP is a structured review exercise carried out by a team of between three and six people, one of who acts as a chairman. Another member of the team acts as a secretary and records the results of the proceeding. A typical team comprises of the following.
• Chairman: study leader, experienced in HAZOP.
• Project or design engineer: usually a mechanical engineer, responsible for keeping the costs within budget.
• Process engineer: usually the chemical engineer who drew up the flowsheet.
• Commissioning manager: usually a chemical engineer, who will have to start up and operate the plant.
• Control system design engineer: modern plants contain sophisticated control and trip systems and HAZOPS often result in the ...