The Genius is in.
You don't have to be a genius to use the latest MacBook Pro. But if you want to get the very most out of it, put this savvy Portable Genius guide to work. Want to become your own networking guru? Access your contacts, calendars, and other data wherever you are? Put Mac OS® X Snow Leopard through its paces? You'll find cool and useful Genius tips, full-color screenshots, and pages of easy-to-access shortcuts and tools that will save you loads of time and let you enjoy your MacBook Pro to the max.
Fun, hip, and straightforward, the Portable Genius series gives forward-thinking Apple users useful information in handy, compact books that are easy to navigate and don't skimp on the essentials. Collect the whole series and make the most of your Apple digital lifestyle.
Table of Contents
- About the Author
1. How Can I Use My Desktop Space Efficiently?
- 1.1. Maximizing Desktop Space
- 1.2. Setting Desktop Preferences
- 1.3. Working with the Dock
- 1.4. Working with the Sidebar and Toolbar
- 1.5. Working with Exposé
- 1.6. Working with Spaces
- 1.7. Working with the Dashboard
2. How Do I Manage User Accounts?
2.1. Working with User Accounts
- 2.1.1. Creating Administrator or Standard user accounts
- 2.1.2. Limiting access with Parental Controls
- 2.1.3. Setting Login Items for a user account
- 2.1.4. Creating Sharing Only user accounts
- 2.1.5. Creating Group user accounts
- 2.1.6. Changing accounts
- 2.1.7. Deleting accounts
- 2.2. Using Automatic Login
- 2.3. Configuring the Login Window
- 2.4. Working with Fast User Switching
- 2.5. Working with the Root User Account
- 2.1. Working with User Accounts
3. What Are My Internet Connection Options?
- 3.1. Setting Up a Local Network with Internet Access
- 3.2. Connecting via a Wireless Network
- 3.3. Connecting via an Ethernet Connection
- 3.4. Connecting via a Wireless Broadband Card
- 3.5. Connecting via iPhone Tethering
- 3.6. Managing Multiple Network Connections
- 3.7. Troubleshooting an Internet Connection
4. What Can I Do on a Local Network?
4.1. Sharing Files
- 4.1.1. Sharing your files with others
- 4.1.2. Accessing files shared with you
- 4.1.3. Sharing files with Windows PCs
- 4.2. Sharing Screens
- 4.3. Sharing Printers
- 4.4. Sharing an Internet Connection
- 4.1. Sharing Files
5. How Do I Take Advantage of MobileMe?
- 5.1. Obtaining a MobileMe Account
- 5.2. Working with iDisks
- 5.3. Synchronizing Data
- 5.4. Using MobileMe Web Applications
6. How Can I Manage Contact Information?
- 6.1. Adding Contact Information to Address Book
- 6.2. Working with Cards
- 6.3. Organizing Cards with Groups
- 6.4. Synchronizing Contact Information with an iPhone or iPod Touch
- 6.5. Printing from Address Book
7. How Can I Go Beyond Email Basics with Mail?
- 7.1. Configuring Email Accounts
- 7.2. Working with File Attachments
- 7.3. Organizing Email
- 7.4. Using the Junk Mail Tool in Mail
- 7.5. Automatically Managing Email with Rules
- 7.6. Working with RSS Feeds
8. How Can I Communicate with iChat?
- 8.1. Configuring iChat
- 8.2. Working with Buddies
- 8.3. Chatting with Text
- 8.4. Chatting with Audio
- 8.5. Chatting with Video
- 8.6. Sharing Desktops During a Chat
- 8.7. Sharing a Document During a Chat
- 8.8. Chatting On
9. How Can I Manage My Calendars?
- 9.1. Setting Up iCal
- 9.2. Managing Calendars, Events, and To-Do Items
- 9.3. Printing Calendars
- 9.4. Sharing Calendars
- 9.5. Subscribing to Calendars
- 9.6. Moving iCal Calendars onto an iPhone
- 10. How Can I Make Sure I Don't Run Out of Battery Power?
11. How Can I Control My MacBook Pro More Effectively?
- 11.1. Using the Trackpad Effectively
11.2. Using the Keyboard Effectively
- 11.2.1. Configuring the keyboard
- 11.2.2. Configuring language settings and the Input menu
11.2.3. Using keyboard tricks
- 184.108.40.206. Controlling the keyboard's backlight
- 220.127.116.11. Controlling your MacBook Pro with function keys
- 18.104.22.168. Controlling your MacBook Pro with default keyboard shortcuts
- 22.214.171.124. Configuring keyboard shortcuts
- 126.96.36.199. Creating your own application keyboard shortcuts
- 188.8.131.52. Navigating with the keyboard
- 184.108.40.206. Using the Input menu
- 220.127.116.11. Using the Character Viewer
- 18.104.22.168. Using the Keyboard Viewer
- 11.3. Configuring Bluetooth on a MacBook Pro
- 11.4. Adding a Bluetooth Mouse
- 11.5. Adding a Bluetooth Keyboard
12. How Do I Make Better Use of My MacBook Pro's Audio?
- 12.1. Getting Sound Out of a MacBook Pro
- 12.2. Working with Sound Effects
12.3. Getting Sound into a MacBook Pro
- 12.3.1. Recording sound with the MacBook Pro's internal microphone
- 12.3.2. Recording sound with a USB headset
- 12.3.3. Recording sound with a video camera
- 12.3.4. Recording sound from external microphones and musical instruments
- 12.3.5. Recording sound with an iPhone
13. How Do I Store and Maintain My Data?
- 13.1. Using External Hard Drives
- 13.2. Maintaining Hard Drives
- 13.3. Working with SD Cards
- 13.4. Using an iPod as an External Drive
- 13.5. Working with Flash Drives
14. How Can I Protect My MacBook Pro?
14.1. Keeping Software Current
- 14.1.1. Keeping Apple software current
- 14.1.2. Keeping non-Apple software current
- 14.2. Preventing Internet Attacks
- 14.3. Protecting MacBook Pro with General Security
- 14.4. Protecting Data with Time Machine
- 14.5. Protecting Data with Encryption
- 14.6. Protecting Information with Keychains
- 14.1. Keeping Software Current
15. How Can I Run Windows Applications?
- 15.1. Choosing a Windows Option
- 15.2. Using Boot Camp to Run Windows
- 15.3. Running Windows Virtually
16. How Do I Solve MacBook Pro Problems?
- 16.1. Looking for Trouble
- 16.2. Understanding and Describing Problems
16.3. Trying Fast and Easy Solutions
- 16.3.1. Forcing applications to quit
- 16.3.2. Forcing the Finder to relaunch
- 16.3.3. Restarting
- 16.3.4. Shutting down soft
- 16.3.5. Shutting down hard
- 16.3.6. Logging in under a troubleshooting user account
- 16.3.7. Repairing external hard drives
- 16.3.8. Repairing the internal hard drive
- 16.3.9. Repairing permissions
- 16.3.10. Reinstalling applications
- 16.3.11. Starting up from an alternate startup external drive
- 16.3.12. Starting up from the Mac OS X installation disc
- 16.4. Getting Help with MacBook Pro Problems
- 16.5. Trying Harder or More Expensive Solutions
- Title: MacBook Pro® Portable Genius, 2nd Edition
- Release date: October 2009
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780470560631