Boundary Pattern Analysis
Recognition of binary objects by boundary pattern analysis should be a straightforward process, but as this chapter shows, a number of problems need to be overcome. In particular, any boundary distortions such as those due to breakage or several objects being in contact may result in total failure of the matching process. This chapter discusses the problems and analyzes possible solutions.
Look out for:
• an analysis of hysteresis thresholding procedures.
• the centroidal profile approach and its limitations.
• how the method may be speeded up.
• how recognition based on the (s, ψ) boundary plot is significantly more robust.
• how the (s, ψ) plot leads to the more convenient (s, κ) plot.
• the exact relation between ...