Ellipses form a further attractive target for techniques such as the Hough transform, for they appear not only in their own right but also as oblique views of circular objects. This chapter discusses how the Hough transform can be adapted to locate ellipses in three contrasting ways.
Look out for:
• the basic diameter bisection method for ellipse detection using the Hough transform.
• means of testing a shape to confirm that it is an ellipse.
• the chord-tangent method for ellipse detection.
• means of finding all relevant ellipse parameters.
• use of the generalized Hough transform for ellipse detection.
• how speed can be improved by use of a universal lookup table.
• how the computational loads of the various Hough transform ...