An intriguing look at Bernie Madoff the man, and his scam
Madoff with the Money is a deeply disturbing portrait of Bernie Madoff based on dozens of exclusive, news-making interviews. From the values Madoff was taught growing up in the working class town of Laurelton, Queens to his high-life on Wall Street and the super-rich enclaves of Palm Beach and the French Riviera, bestselling author Jerry Oppenheimer follows the disgraced money manager's trail as he works his way up the social and economic ladder, and eventually scams his trusting clients in a $50 billion Ponzi scheme.
Through Oppenheimer's in-depth reporting, you'll discover new revelations in this startling case, and become familiar with the trusting victims-ranging from non-profit Jewish charities to the likes of seemingly sophisticated individuals such as actress Jane Fonda who would "like to shake Madoff until his teeth fall out," the scion of the Baskin-Robbins ice cream empire who lost a bundle and was forced to rent out rooms in his house, and New Jersey Senator Frank Lautenberg. There's even Madoff's own sister-in-law and talk show host Larry King, who apparently didn't ask the right questions when he invested. All lost their much-needed life savings, while others saw fortunes small and large evaporate in the greedy financial operations of one of history's all-time charlatans.
Madoff With the Money
Delves into the details of the illusive man that lost investors billions
Weaves stories of Madoff's past with those of the present in an engaging and accessible style
Explores how the financial scam that Madoff ran cost individuals and institutions billions of dollars
Other titles by Oppenheimer: Toy Monster: The Big, Bad World of Mattel, and Just Desserts: Martha Stewart the Unauthorized Biography
While there may be other books on the Bernie Madoff debacle, none digs as deep or goes as far to uncover the truth behind the man, and his incredible scam.
Table of contents
- Beginning of the End
- Growing Up a Madoff
- Bernie Hobnobs with the Wealthy, Strong-Arms Some Pals, and Courts "Josie College"
- From Queens to Alabama, Scamming Homeowners and Hustling Stock
- Tying the Knot and Giving Uncle Sam the Business
- A Borscht Belt Summer Camp Sets the Stage for Bernie's Ponzi Scheme
- Moving on Up
- The Bagel Baker Becomes a Financial Guru, and the Mob Boys from Rockford Pay a Visit
- "Whatever You Do, Kid, Never Invest a Penny in the Stock Market, Because It's Run by Crooks and Sons of Bitches"
- A Madoff Speaks Out and an Empty Promise
- Mr. Outside versus Mr. Inside versus the SEC
- Life inside the Madoff Piggy Bank, Flashing the Plastic, and Losing the Farm
- A Family (and Sometimes an Office) Affair
- Another Arrest, and Blood Relatives Get Taken to the Cleaners
- Author's Note on Sources
- Color Plates
- Title: Madoff with the Money
- Release date: August 2009
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780470504987
You might also like
The Bernard Madoff Investment Scam
This Element is an excerpt from Who Can You Trust With Your Money? Get the Help …
The Truth About Avoiding Scams
"You should read this book and take Steve Weisman's advice. And from the money and assets …
From Financial Crisis to Recovery (Collection)
A new collection of objective, authoritative insights into the American economy: 2 authoritative books by top …
Tail Risk Killers: How Math, Indeterminacy, and Hubris Distort Markets
Reshape your investing strategy for an increasingly uncertain world “An engrossing, fast-paced, terrific read for anyone …