You're only as good as your team. So how do you make sure your team is as good as it could be?
Improving team performance is what you are there for as a manager. The better you are, the better your team will be.
Successful performance management is all about having the right tools and knowing when and how to apply them. Managing for Performance provides you with exactly this: proven practical techniques and innovative guidance.
Designed to be a constant reference throughout your career, this ultimate guide to high performance gives you all the direction and support you need to create an environment where people want to give their best.
"An excellent practical handbook that speaks directly to managers and encourages them to assess their own performance and style. The format is ideal - easy to digest and divided into accessible sections."
Sheila Browne, Senior Learning and Development Consultant, BBC Training & Development
"Managing for Performance provides a thoughtful hands-on guide to getting the best from yourself and your team."
Kai Peters, Chief Executive, Ashridge Business School
Table of contents
Managing for Performance
- Books that make you better
- Author’s Acknowledgement
1. Bringing Out the Best in Others
- 1. Motivating for Success
2. Managing Performance Difficulties
- Look at Yourself – from Ostrich to Judge
- The 4 P’s of Performance
- Managing Performance at a Distance
- How to Deal with Performance Problems
- Taking Stock of Your Team
2. Building Effective Relationships
- 3. Core Competences and Skills
- 4. Essential Techniques
- 5. Productive Conversations
3. Building High-Performing Teams
6. Analysing Your Team
- 1. The Task Governs the Process
- 2. Forgetting About the Stakeholders
- 3. Unclear Expectations
- 4. Ignoring Interpersonal and Team Issues
- 5. Team Leadership
- What Type of Team are You?
- Team Size
- What Development Stage is Your Team At?
- Just how Complex is Your Team?
- What Impact does the Organisation and Environment have on your Team?
- Analysing Your Own Team
7. Developing Your Team Tool Kit
- Same time/same place
- Same time/different place
- Different time/same place
- Different time/different place
- Making the Most of the Communication Tools Available
- Making the Most of Other Forms of Communication
- Creating a Communication Strategy
- The Virtual Element
- The Cross-cultural Element
- 8. Team Leadership
- 6. Analysing Your Team
- Reflecting on Your Learning Approach
Reading, References and Resources
- Part 1 – Bringing out the Best in Others
- Part 2 Building Effective Relationships
- Part 3 Building High-Performing Teams
- Title: Managing for Performance: Delivering Results Through Others
- Release date: January 2009
- Publisher(s): Pearson
- ISBN: 9780131370128
You might also like
100 Things: Every Designer Needs to Know About People
If you want to design intuitive and engaging web sites, apps, print materials or products, then …
Developed from powerful techniques consistently proven in the world of multi-million pound commercial bid writing, Persuasive …
CCBA® and CBAP® Certifications Study Guide
A handy, on-the-job reference filled with real-life scenarios to help you achieve the Certified Business Analysis …
Powerful Phrases for Dealing with Difficult People
Incompetent, lazy, spotlight-hogging, whiny, backstabbing, avoidant—there’s no end to the personality challenges that impede workplace relationships. …