4 DESIGNING THE PROJECT
Design. The general layout or arrangement of a product.
Concise Oxford Dictionary, 8th edition (1991)
In the previous chapter we discussed setting objectives for a project. In parallel we set up the project to respond to the business needs and goals.
We use the term project design to identify this work. Project design includes:
- defining the project scope and describing the key deliverables;
- assessing the challenges of the project;
- choosing the project manager and senior members of the team;
- assessing the working environment;
- project discipline;
- planning to deal with failure (risk planning).
A notable omission from this list is preparation of the project management plan. There are two reasons for this ...