The final step in moving to a proactive environment is to ensure that the database can be recovered in time of need.
To achieve this, an actual recovery of the production database must be performed at least once a year to check that:
- The backups are working correctly
- There are storage devices available that can be used to recover the database
- There is sufficient knowledge and expertise in recovering the database
- The time to perform a recovery is understood
The back-up strategy should be reviewed and the following questions should be asked:
- If the database increases in size, can the backups cope?
- Will the size of export files grow? If so, is there sufficient storage to contain them?
- Will the length of time for a backup to run increase?
- Is there ...