Sea-changes in society, technology, consumer expectations and our understanding of behavioral economics have caused us to rethink our understanding of the scope of knowledge required to navigate, analyze and shape consumer behavior.
You hold in your hand a field guide for this adventure. Ron Hill and Cait Lamberton have gathered together the very top professors from around the world and invited them to share the beliefs, practices and wisdom that they have developed and honed across years and contexts.
Each of these luminaries shares personal stories and deep insights about the way that not only business works, but the way we, ourselves, navigate the world. These short contributions are contained in eight "destinations" that showcase overlapping and essential topics, ranging from technology to subsistence marketplaces, followed by unique questions that are answered by the material provided. The research described has helped the field understand the central role of exchange in marketing relationships, and how product features, pricing strategies, delivery mechanism and various communication modalities create or fail to produce functioning marketplaces around the world. In addition, it reminds us all of the need to continue to learn, to grow, and to share our knowledge – in whatever corner of the marketing world we find ourselves.
Table of contents
- Half Title
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Table of Contents
Destination #1 Research and technology
- Entry #1 How do you stay on trend amidst the always-evolving world of digital marketing?
- Entry #2 What role might bioscience play in helping us deepen our understanding of—and intervention in—human behavior?
- Entry #3 How can we conduct research that truly furthers our understanding of diversity, rather than reinforcing old models?
- Entry #4 How can you use models in a meaningful way for your market?
- Entry #5 Does “big data” have the right customer satisfaction answers?
- Entry #6 How can you capture data that reflects complex life decisions?
- Entry #7 What are consumers’ interactions with the Internet of Things and how does it affect marketing?
Destination #2 Target markets and consumer behavior
- Entry #8 Who are your consumers (really)?
- Entry #9 How can you get to know the true identity of your target market?
- Entry #10 What role does intuition play in consumers’ decisions?
- Entry #11 Why does obligation play into consumers’ behaviors and how can you prepare accordingly?
- Entry #12 How can the sense of touch change consumer experience and response?
- Entry #13 Did you smell that? How scent affects the consumer experience
- Entry #14 How do you engage low-literate, low-income consumers and entrepreneurs in the marketplace?
Destination #3 Branding
- Entry #15 How do attitudes affect brands?
- Entry #16 How can you strengthen communication effects to better your brand?
- Entry #17 How can marketers foster brand attachment?
- Entry #18 When does your positional advantage pose challenges to success?
- Entry #19 How does your advertising affect consumers?
- Entry #20 How can you use your brand to help your consumers live better lives?
- Entry #21 Why hire someone who does not fit consumers’ stereotypes?
Destination #4 Enhancing the marketplace
- Entry #22 Price competition, attraction effects, and line–extension effects: What are their hidden returns?
- Entry #23 What makes a new product successful?
- Entry #24 What are the consequences for remedying risk?
- Entry #25 Why do business relationships often fail and how can you turn that trend around?
- Entry #26 Is it better for us (and our consumers) to make decisions together or alone?
- Entry #27 What steps can you take to create an inclusive marketplace?
- Entry #28 How can looking at the whole picture help you serve customers?
Destination #5 Customer satisfaction
- Entry #29 What do customers really want?
- Entry #30 How do marketers bring back the voice of the customer?
- Entry #31 How does satisficing and justifying among consumers affect marketing?
- Entry #32 How can you better predict future consumer preferences when consumers often have trouble doing so?
- Entry #33 How do your prices actually affect consumers?
- Entry #34 How do you create the ultimate customer experience?
- Entry #35 How do you measure service quality?
Destination #6 Consumer wellbeing
- Entry #36 How can marketing spark change in consumer health?
- Entry #37 What is the best strategy to employ when conducting healthy food marketing?
- Entry #38 How does price influence food decision making?
- Entry #39 What factors influence over-consumption and how can marketers use this information to improve customers’ wellbeing?
- Entry #40 How do female mannequins impact consumers?
- Entry #41 How can marketing make prevention education effective?
Destination #7 Motivating change
- Entry #42 How can you influence change and innovation?
- Entry #43 What role do consequences play in motivating consumers?
- Entry #44 How can you enhance consumer persuasion?
- Entry #45 How can you use negative associations to motivate consumers?
- Entry #46 How can you tap into consumers’ surroundings to influence their actions?
- Entry #47 Does consumers’ photo-taking enrich or impoverish experience?
- Entry #48 What can you do to stay motivated throughout your career?
Destination #8 Marketing and the world at large
- Entry #49 What does wisdom entail and how can it make you a better marketer?
- Entry #50 How is collaboration beneficial to you and your business?
- Entry #51 How can you employ macromarketing to better your business?
- Entry #52 How is sustainability changing the marketing world?
- Entry #53 How does climate determine consumption and culture?
- Entry #54 How can you help children navigate market messages as technology progresses?
- Entry #55 What should students learn about marketing?
- Closing remarks
- Title: Mapping Out Marketing
- Release date: May 2018
- Publisher(s): Routledge
- ISBN: 9781351622523
You might also like
Business Model Generation: A Handbook for Visionaries, Game Changers, and Challengers
Business Model Generation is a handbook for visionaries, game changers, and challengers striving to defy outmoded …
The Business Model Book
Business models are the beating heart of your firm's value proposition. Great business models drive rapid …
Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want
The authors of the international bestseller Business Model Generation explain how to create value propositions customers …
The Art of Digital Marketing
The premier guide to digital marketing that works, and a solid framework for success The Art …