• In this section, the limit is described, examples of limits are given, as well as rules governing limits of functions that are added, subtracted, multiplied, divided, and raised to a power.
• The limit is used in the estimation of infinite sums and the definition of the derivative in calculus.
• In general, the limit is used to describe closeness of a function to a value when the exact value cannot be identified.
• If the Limx→af(x) = L, then it is said that the function f(x) gets close to and may equal some number L as x approaches and gets close to some number a.
• For example, consider the function:
f(x) = x2 + 2
What will the value of f(x) be close to when ...