Build cost-effective and highly scalable Serverless applications using AWS Lambda.
About This Book
- Leverage AWS Lambda to significantly lower your infrastructure costs and deploy out massively scalable, event-driven systems and applications
- Learn how to design and build Lambda functions using real-world examples and implementation scenarios
- Explore the Serverless ecosystem with a variety of toolsets and AWS services including DynamoDB, API Gateway, and much more!
Who This Book Is For
If you are a Cloud administrator and/or developer who wishes to explore, learn, and leverage AWS Lambda to design, build, and deploy Serverless applications in the cloud, then this is the book for you! The book assumes you have some prior knowledge and hands-on experience with AWS core services such as EC2, IAM, S3, along with the knowledge to work with any popular programming language such as Node.Js, Java, C#, and so on.
What You Will Learn
- Understand the hype, significance, and business benefits of Serverless computing and applications
- Plunge into the Serverless world of AWS Lambda and master its core components and how it works
- Find out how to effectively and efficiently design, develop, and test Lambda functions using Node.js, along with some keen coding insights and best practices
- Explore best practices to effectively monitor and troubleshoot Serverless applications using AWS CloudWatch and other third-party services in the form of Datadog and Loggly
- Quickly design and develop Serverless applications by leveraging AWS Lambda, DynamoDB, and API Gateway using the Serverless Application Framework (SAF) and other AWS services such as Step Functions
- Explore a rich variety of real-world Serverless use cases with Lambda and see how you can apply it to your environments
AWS is recognized as one of the biggest market leaders for cloud computing and why not? It has evolved a lot since the time it started out by providing just basic services such as EC2 and S3 and today; they go all the way from IoT to Machine Learning, Image recognition, Chatbot Frameworks, and much more! One of those recent services that is also gaining a lot of traction is AWS Lambda! Although seemingly simple and easy to use, Lambda is a highly effective and scalable compute service that provides developers with a powerful platform to design and develop Serverless event-driven systems and applications.
The book begins with a high-level introduction into the world of Serverless computing and its advantages and use cases, followed by a deep dive into AWS Lambda! You’ll learn what services AWS Lambda provides to developers; how to design, write, and test Lambda functions; as well as monitor and troubleshoot them. The book is designed and accompanied with a vast variety of real-world examples, use cases, and code samples that will enable you to get started on your Serverless applications quickly.
By the end of the book, you will have gained all the skills required to work with AWS Lambda services!
Style and approach
This step-by-step guide will help you build Serverless applications and run Serverless workloads using the AWS Lambda service. You’ll be able to get started with it in a matter of minutes with easy-to-follow code snippets and examples.
Downloading the example code for this book. You can download the example code files for all Packt books you have purchased from your account at http://www.PacktPub.com. If you purchased this book elsewhere, you can visit http://www.PacktPub.com/support and register to have the code file.
Table of contents
- Introducing AWS Lambda
- Writing Lambda Functions
- Testing Lambda Functions
- Introducing event-driven architectures
- Understanding events and AWS Lambda
- Exploring Lambda and event mapping
- Planning your next steps
- Extending AWS Lambda with External Services
Build and Deploy Serverless Applications with AWS Lambda
- Introducing SAM
- Introducing AWS step functions
- Planning your next steps
- Monitoring and Troubleshooting AWS Lambda
- Introducing the Serverless Application Framework
- AWS Lambda - Use Cases
- Next Steps with AWS Lambda
- Title: Mastering AWS Lambda
- Release date: August 2017
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781786467690
You might also like
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
10+ Hours of Video Instruction Linux Fundamentals LiveLessons has more than 10 hours of comprehensive video …
Python for DevOps
Much has changed in technology over the past decade. Data is hot, the cloud is ubiquitous, …
51+ hours of video instruction. Overview The professional programmer’s Deitel® video guide to Python development with …