Chapter 9. Linked Data and the Semantic Web
This chapter provides an overview about the Semantic Web and related technologies. In this chapter, we will discuss the following topics:
- Discussing the foundations of the Semantic Web as a Web of Data
- Discussing microformats, Linked Data, and RDF
- Mining semantic relations from DBpedia
- Mining geographic information from Wikipedia
- Plotting geographic information into Google Maps
A Web of Data
The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), an international organization that works to develop Web standards, suggests a simple definition for the Semantic Web (https://www.w3.org/standards/semanticweb/data, retrieved April 2016):
"The Semantic Web is a Web of Data"
Both, the term Semantic Web and this definition, were coined ...