Key to the correctness aspect of V&V is the concept of software defects. The term defect (also known as bug) refers to a generic software problem. The IEEE Standard 610.12 propose the following taxonomy related to software defects:
- Error: A human action that produces an incorrect result. Errors can be classified into two categories:
- Syntax error (program statement that violates one or more rules of the language in which it is written).
- Logic error (incorrect data fields, out-of-range terms, or invalid combinations).
- Fault: The manifestation of an error in the software system is known as a fault. For example, an incorrect step, process, or data definition.
- Failure: The inability of the software system to perform its required ...