An in-depth video course that covers advanced Swift programming and focuses on writing highly performant, elegant, and readable code
About This Video
Explore Swift's revolutionary leap from Objective-C, and leverage its higher-level features to get the most out of the Cocoa framework
Learn how to exploit compiler optimizations to attain blazing code performance
Gain a deeper understanding of your Swift code through dynamic and easy-to-follow demonstrations
Swift 2 is a multi-paradigm programming language that has expressive features familiar to modern functional languages, and does not forget the object-oriented features of Objective-C. Things that took a block of code in Objective-C are reduced to one or two lines in Swift. Swift is said to be safer, faster, and easier to understand, and has the energy of Apple and the open source community behind it.
This course takes you on a journey through a wide array of topics that are crucial to writing top-level Swift code. You will get an in-depth view of various core topics such as advanced language features, memory management, interoperability, concurrency, advanced debugging, algorithms, and performance optimizations. Last but not least, we’ll also explore Swift design patterns.
We’ll start by discussing the uniqueness of Swift, what’s new, and what’s to come. Then we take a look at fast-paced deconstructions of advanced language features such as extensions, generics, protocols, and more. Next we’ll focus on memory management as you learn how to measure and address our applications’ memory usage.
Soon we’ll dive into opening Swift up to Objective-C, C, and even C++ code and speeding up development by leveraging third-party frameworks. We will then move on to asynchronous programming and concurrency and you’ll see how to process multiple tasks simultaneously.
You’ll discover how to debug your applications more effectively, which is one of the key components to becoming a faster developer. As the journey comes to an end, we will take a look at compiler optimizations, performance measurements, and algorithms and complexity. Finally, you’ll explore specific design patterns can address common programming problems.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 : Swift Primer and Introduction to Functional Programming
- The Course Overview 00:04:03
- Swift Review – Operators, Types, and Strings 00:06:14
- Swift Review – Collection Types 00:05:23
- Swift Review – Classes, Structs and Enums 00:05:51
- Swift Review – Flow of Control and Optionals 00:06:06
- What’s New in Swift 2? 00:05:40
- Functional Programming 00:05:11
- Protocol Oriented Programming 00:03:49
Chapter 2 : Advanced Language Features and Functional Concepts
- Introducing Game of Life 00:09:17
- Function Value Types and Closure Syntax 00:03:57
- Extensions 00:05:47
- Generics 00:05:29
- Higher-order Functions – Filter 00:08:16
- Higher-order Functions – Map 00:05:10
- Higher-order Functions – FlatMap 00:03:28
- Higher-order Functions – Reduce 00:02:40
- Sequences and Generators 00:04:08
- Chapter 3 : Exploring Swift’s Memory Management
- Chapter 4 : Interoperability and Working with 3rd Party Libraries
- Chapter 5 : Concurrency and Grand Central Dispatch
- Chapter 6 : Troubleshooting, Advanced Debugging, and Error Handling
- Chapter 7 : Performance Optimization and Introduction to Algorithms
- Chapter 8 : Design Patterns
- Title: Mastering Swift 2 Programming
- Release date: April 2016
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781785889998