Several things happened in step 2 of the Measure Names and Measure Values shortcuts exercise. After placing Age on top of the Pay Rate number in the view, Tableau did the following:
- Deployed Measure Names on the Filters shelf.
- Open the Measure Names filter and observe that only Age and Pay Rate are selected. This limits the view to display only those two measures.
- Deployed Measure Names on the Rows shelf.
- Measure Names is acting like a partitioned container, that is, like the sock drawer in the analogy. Because of the filter, the only rows that display are for Age and Pay Rate.
- Displayed the Measure Values shelf.
- The Measure Values shelf is somewhat redundant. Although it clearly shows the measures that display ...