For the first time ever, world-famous photographer and fashion
lighting instructor Frank Doorhof takes you behind the scenes to
reveal every step of his model-photography workflow–the same
workflow that has made him a hero to photographers around the world
thanks to his practical, budget conscious, no-nonsense
In this groundbreaking book, Frank starts right at the beginning with how to find models, find great locations, work with backgrounds (you’ll be amazed at his tricks for creating stunning backgrounds for just a few bucks), and work by yourself or with a team (stylist, hair stylist, and makeup artist) to create an image that will get your photography noticed. Then, it’s on to an in-depth look at the lighting setups and looks that made Frank famous (complete with diagrams and detailed explanations).
You’ll see how Frank lights his images (you’ll be shocked at how simple most of his lighting setups are and you’ll be able to create these same setups yourself), plus he covers the critical little stuff nobody else is talking about, including: how to calibrate your monitor (and why it’s so important); how to use a color target to nail your color every single time; and why (and how) to use a light meter to get consistent, reproducible lighting each and every shoot.
Frank also shares his own retouching techniques through step-by-step tutorials, and he takes you from start to finish through a number of different looks so you can see exactly how it’s done, and recreate these same looks yourself. If you’ve ever wished there was one book that covers it all, the whole process of photographing models from start to finish, not leaving anything out, then this is the book for you.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Dedication Page
- About the Author
- Chapter One. Finding Your Models
- Chapter Two. Locations
- Chapter Three. Props & Backgrounds
- Chapter Four. Clothing & Styling (The Most Important Things)
- Chapter Five. Coaching Your Models Once They’re on the Set
- Chapter Six. Using Natural Light
- Chapter Seven. Lighting When You Don’t Have Natural Light
- Chapter Eight. Lighting Fashion on Location
- Chapter Nine. Studio Lighting
- Chapter Ten. Getting the Foundation Right: Calibration, Color Targets & Light Meters
- Chapter Eleven. Retouching: Photoshop, Camera, or Both?
- Chapter Twelve. Marketing Your Work
- Chapter Thirteen. A Photo Shoot from Start to Finish (From A to Z)
- Chapter Fourteen. More Concepts & Ideas
- Title: Mastering the Model Shoot: Everything a Photographer Needs to Know Before, During, and After the Shoot
- Release date: November 2013
- Publisher(s): New Riders
- ISBN: 9780133760491