Trade magazines and review articles describe MWD in casual terms, e.g., positive versus negative pulsers, continuous wave systems, drilling channel noise and attenuation, in very simple terms absent of technical rigor. However, few truly scientific discussions are available on existing methods, let alone the advances necessary for high-data-rate telemetry. Without a strong foundation building on solid acoustic principles, rigorous mathematics, and of course, fast, inexpensive and efficient testing of mechanical designs, low data rates will impose unacceptable quality issues to real-time formation evaluation for years to come.
This all-new revised second edition of an instant classic promises to change all of this. The lead author and M.I.T.-educated scientist, Wilson Chin, has written the only book available that develops mud pulse telemetry from first principles, adapting sound acoustic principles to rigorous signal processing and efficient wind tunnel testing. In fact, the methods and telemetry principles developed in the book were recently adopted by one of the world’s largest industrial corporations in its mission to redefine the face of MWD.The entire engineering history for continuous wave telemetry is covered: anecdotal stories and their fallacies, original hardware problems and their solutions, different noise mechanisms and their signal processing solutions, apparent paradoxes encountered in field tests and simple explanations to complicated questions, and so on, are discussed in complete “tell all” detail for students, research professors and professional engineers alike. These include signal processing algorithms, signal enhancement methods, and highly efficient “short” and “long wind tunnel” test methods, whose results can be dynamically re-scaled to real muds flowing at any speed. A must read for all petroleum engineering professionals!
Table of contents
- Title page
- Copyright page
- Chapter 1: Stories from the Field, Fundamental Questions and Solutions
- Chapter 2: Harmonic Analysis: Six-Segment Downhole Acoustic Waveguide
- Chapter 3: Harmonic Analysis: Elementary Pipe and Collar Models
Chapter 4: Transient Constant Area Surface and Downhole Wave Models
- 4.1 Method 4-1. Upgoing wave reflection at solid boundary, single transducer deconvolution using delay equation, no mud pump noise (Software reference, XDUCER*.FOR).
- 4.2 Method 4-2. Upgoing wave reflection at solid boundary, single transducer deconvolution using delay equation, with mud pump noise (Software reference, HYBRID*.FOR).
- 4.3 Method 4-3. Directional filtering – difference equation method requiring two transducers (Software reference, 2XDCR*.FOR).
- 4.4 Method 4-4. Directional filtering – differential equation method requiring two transducers (Software reference, SAS14D*.FOR, Option 3 only).
- 4.5 Method 4-5. Downhole reflection and deconvolution at the bit, waves created by MWD dipole source, bit assumed as perfect solid reflector (Software reference, DELTAP*.FOR).
- 4.6 Method 4-6. Downhole reflection and deconvolution at the bit, waves created by MWD dipole source, bit assumed as perfect open end or zero acoustic pressure reflector (Software reference, DPOPEN*.FOR).
- 4.7 References.
Chapter 5: Transient Variable Area Downhole Inverse Models
- 5.1 Method 5-1. Problems with acoustic impedance mismatch due to collar-drillpipe area discontinuity, with drillbit assumed as open-end reflector (Software reference, collar-pipe-open-16.for).
- 5.2 Method 5-2. Problems with collar-drillpipe area discontinuity, with drillbit assumed as closed end, solid drillbit reflector (Software reference, collar-pipe-closed-*.for).
- 5.3 References.
Chapter 6: Signal Processor Design and Additional Noise Models
- 6.1 Desurger Distortion
- 6.2 Downhole Drilling Noise.
- 6.3 Attenuation Mechanisms (Software reference, Alpha2, Alpha3, MWDFreq, datarate).
- 6.4 Drillpipe Attenuation and Mudpump Reflection (Software reference, PSURF-1.FOR).
- 6.5 Applications to Negative Pulser Design in Fluid Flows and to Elastic Wave Telemetry Analysis in Drillpipe Systems.
- 6.6 LMS Adaptive and Savitzky-Golay Smoothing Filters (Software reference, all of the filters in Sections 6 and 7 are found in C:\MWD-06).
- 6.7 Low Pass Butterworth, Low Pass FFT and Notch Filters.
- 6.8 Typical Frequency Spectra and MWD Signal Strength Properties.
- 6.9 References.
- Chapter 7: Mud Siren Torque and Erosion Analysis
- Chapter 8: Downhole Turbine Design and Short Wind Tunnel Testing
- Chapter 9: Siren Design and Evaluation in Mud Flow Loops and Wind Tunnels
- Chapter 10: Advanced System Summary and Modern MWD Developments
- Chapter 11: MWD Signal Processing in China
Chapter 12: Sensor Developments in China
- 12.1 DRGDS Near-bit Geosteering Drilling System.
- 12.2 DRGRT Natural Azi-Gamma Ray Measurement.
- 12.3 DRNBLog Geological Log.
- 12.4 DRMPR Electromagnetic Wave Resistivity.
- 12.5 DRNP Neutron Porosity.
- 12.6 DRMWD Positive Mud Pulser.
- 12.7 DREMWD Electromagnetic MWD.
- 12.8 DRPWD Pressure While Drilling.
- 12.9 Automatic Vertical Drilling System – DRVDS-1.
- 12.10 Automatic Vertical Drilling System – DRVDS-2.
- Chapter 13: Sinopec MWD Research
- Chapter 14: Gyrodata MWD Research
- Chapter 15: GE Oil & Gas MWD Developments (BakerHughes, a GE Company)
- Chapter 16: MWD Turbosiren – Principles, Design and Development
- Chapter 17: Design of Miniature Sirens
- Chapter 18: Wave-Based Directional Filtering
- Cumulative References
- About the Author
- End User License Agreement
- Title: Measurement While Drilling, 2nd Edition
- Release date: August 2018
- Publisher(s): Wiley-Scrivener
- ISBN: 9781119479154
You might also like
Formulas and Calculations for Drilling, Production, and Workover
A quick reference for day-to-day work out on the rig or a handy study guide for …
Well Test Analysis for Multilayered Reservoirs with Formation Crossflow
Well Test Analysis for Multilayered Reservoirs with Formation Crossflow introduces the fundamentals of well test analysis …
PoC or GTFO, Volume 3
The International Journal of Proof-of-Concept or Get The Fuck Out is a celebrated collection of short …
Petroleum Reservoir Engineering Practice
The Complete, Up-to-Date, Practical Guide to Modern Petroleum Reservoir Engineering This is a complete, up-to-date guide …