What Is Meditation?
In This Chapter
- When and how meditation developed over the centuries
- Meditative practices appearing in spiritual traditions
- What all meditative practices have in common
- The two ways meditation affects your mind
- The benefits you might experience from meditating
In the last 50 years or so, meditation has gradually made it into mainstream Western culture. It has become widely recognized as an accessible and beneficial practice for just about anyone, appearing in one form or another on national magazine covers, in the lives of celebrities, in widely accepted psychological treatment programs, and in regimens used to ...