A series of 10 easy-to-perform practical recipes to quick start and get going with Mercurial simplicity and power
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results.
- Learn version control quickly using Mercurial basics and advanced features
- Set up and work with the Mercurial server for collaborative software development
- Practise a centralized workflow and continuous integration
- Customize Mercurial with advanced commands, hooks, and extensions
A version control system provides a central repository to effectively coordinate and collaborate the work of a software development team. Mercurial is one of the most powerful and portable distributed version control systems currently available and is also fully free software. Most importantly, it provides a smooth transition for developers knowing CVS or Subversion's command set.
Instant Mercurial Distributed SCM Essentials How-to will help you in exploring the basics as well as some of Mercurial’s most advanced features, such as extensions, hooks, conflict resolution, and so on through a comprehensive set of recipes. It quickly takes you through the process of creating a simple centralized software configuration workflow and continuous integration practice. If you are a software developer already familiar to version control but new to the Mercurial open source distributed VCS, this book is a great place to start.
Instant Mercurial Distributed SCM Essentials How-to begins with taking you through the tool installation and configuration and the most standard version control tasks, either for working locally or with a team through a series of easy-to-perform practical recipes.
Furthermore, this book will help you understand several tasks related to configuration management such as branching, merging, or solving conflicts and advanced tool usage; how to set up a web interface, to find when a bug was introduced, to enforce rules, to work with patches, or to set up a bidirectional gateway to another VCS.
Using a practical format of easy-to-perform recipes, Instant Mercurial SCM Essentials How-to leverages the simplicity and power of Mercurial to help you be more efficient and productive.
Table of Contents
Mercurial Distributed SCM Essentials How-to
- Mercurial Distributed SCM Essentials How-to
- About the Author
- About the Reviewer
1. Mercurial Distributed SCM Essentials How-to
- Installing Mercurial on your platform (Simple)
- Installing mercurial-server on your platform (Medium)
- Working with local files (Simple)
- Displaying information (Simple)
- Working with others (Simple)
- Using SSH and mercurial-server (Medium)
- Branching, merging, and managing conflicts (Simple)
- Working with continuous integration (Simple)
- Using additional commands and extensions (Advanced)
- Mastering tips and tricks (Medium)
- Title: Mercurial Distributed SCM Essentials How-to
- Release date: April 2013
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781782169918