- maximum transmission unit (MTU).
Maximum packet size, in bytes, that a particular interface can handle.
- Media Access Control (MAC) address.
Standardized data link layer address that is required for every port or device that connects to a LAN. Other devices in the network use these addresses to locate specific ports in the network and to create and update routing tables and data structures. MAC addresses are 6 bytes long and are controlled by the IEEE.
- metropolitan area network (MAN).
Network that spans a defined metropolitan or regional area; smaller than a WAN but larger than a LAN.
- multidwelling units (MDUs).
Buildings that contain multiple housing units, such as apartment complexes and university dormitories.
- multiple service operator (MSO