266 8. ANALOG PERIPHERALS
1. Conﬁgure DAC12 to operate in an 8 bit binary format.
2. Use reference voltages to be 0 V and 2.5 V.
3. Program the MSP430 microcontroller to monitor shower input (suppose inputs are updated
in a memory location at the top of RAM).
4. Convert digital values to their corresponding analog values when the contents of the memory
location mentioned in 2 are changed.
8.8 REFERENCES AND FURTHER READING
• Texas Instruments MSP430x5xx/MSP430x6xx Family User’s Guide (SLAU208G). Texas In-
• Texas Instruments MSP430x4xx Family User’s Guide “RISC 16-Bit CPU” (SLAU056J). Texas
8.9 CHAPTER PROBLEMS
1. Using the Nyquist sampling rate, ﬁnd the minimum sampling frequency of an ATD converter
if the highest frequency of an input analog signal is 2 kHz.
2. Given a sinusoidal input analog signal, 5cos(2π10kt), and sampling frequency of 1 KHz, ﬁnd
the ﬁrst three sampled values with starting time 0.
3. Given an 8 bit ATD converter and input range of 0 V and 5 V, what is the quantization level
for sampled value of 2.9 V?
4. What is the quantization error for the sampled signal in Problem 3?
5. What is the encoded value of quantization level from Problem 3?
6. Which of the following digital-to-analog converter does MSP430 use: (1) Binary weighted
DAC, (2) R/2R ladder DAC, (3) Interpolating DAC, (4) Pulse width modulation DAC, or
(5) Thermometer coded DAC?
7. Which register and bit should be modiﬁed to conﬁgure the DAC12 to use a 12-bit resolution?
8. What must a user do to conﬁgure the DAC12 to update analog output whenever there appears
a rising edge of the Timer_A CCR1 output?