312 9. COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS
The scenarios shown above are arbitrary. What would be more suitable for smart homes in
As an embedded system designer and programmer, it is important to consider communication means
(serial/parallel) and costs (synchronous/asynchronous) associated with each possible communication
method when designing a project with a microcontroller. In this chapter, we give readers fundamental
knowledge on those issues by presenting a variety of communication units resident on the MSP430
microcontroller, including UART, SPI, I
C, and USB. The control registers to conﬁgure commu-
nication units and interrupts for each unit were also presented. In addition, we also brieﬂy showed
how one can design a wireless communication system using the MSP430 controller.
9.10 REFERENCES AND FURTHER READING
• Texas Instruments MSP430x5xx/MSP430x6xx Family User’s Guide (SLAU208G). Texas In-
• Texas Inst ruments MSP430x4xx Family User’s Guide “RISC 16-Bit CPU” (SLAU056J. Texas
• MSP430F543x, MSP430F541x Mixed Signal Microcontroller (Rev. C)
• Creating a ZigBee Smart Energy Device with the MSP430F54xx and the CC2530-ZNP
• CC2530-ZNP Interface Speciﬁcation, SWRA312
9.11 CHAPTER PROBLEMS
1. Describe the difference between parallel and serial communications.
2. If the communication cost is the primary issue,which communication methods (parallel, series)
should be used? Why?
3. What is the difference between synchronous and asynchronous communications?
4. The USCI in the UART mode supports LIN and IrDA. For each identify the protocol used:
serial/parallel and synchronous/asynchronous
5. In the I
C communication protocol, how does one conﬁgure the MSP430 to become a master
device? What must be done to conﬁgure it as a slave device?
6. Give a brief description of a communication protocol.