System Level Design
Objectives: After reading this chapter, the reader should be able to
• Design an embedded system requiring the use of a variety of microcontroller subsystems and
input and output devices
• Design circuits to interface the microcontroller to required system input and output devices
• Employ a variety of tools to meet design requirements
• Implement basic designs presented in the chapter and extend their capabilities with additional
In this chapter, we design four different embedded systems using concepts presented through-
out the text. We intentionally chose the systems to expose readers to a wide variety of system re-
quirements, peripheral devices, interface techniques and microcontroller-based embedded systems.
Using the four systems, we provide you with a basic design platforms and challenge you to extend
the capabilities of the systems with additional features.
We design the following projects:
• a submersible robot,
• a weather station with an SD card data logger for our smart home,
• a motor speed control circuit, and
• an autonomous maze navigating robot.
In each project, we provide the following:
• system description,
• system requirements,
• a structure chart,
• system circuit diagram,
• UML activity diagrams, and the
• microcontroller code.