Previous versions of Communications Server required the integration of dedicated mediation servers to provide signaling and media translation between the Enterprise Voice infrastructure and a Basic Media gateway. Previous versions provided various functions such as
• Translating SIP over TCP to SIP over mutual TLS
• Encrypting and decrypting SRTP on the Communications Server
• Translating media (G.711) on the gateway to RT Audio on CS
• Connecting external clients to internal Interactive Connectivity Establishment (ICE) for media traversal of NAT and firewalls
• Acting as an intermediary for call flows that aren’t supported by a gateway, such as remote worker calls on an Enterprise Voice client
Lync Server now integrates ...