The following are best practices from this chapter:
• Use a supported hypervisor for Lync Server 2010 virtual machines such as Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V or VMware vSphere 4.0.
• Use Windows Server 2008 R2 as the guest operating system for any Lync Server 2010 virtual machine.
• Allocate at least four virtual CPUs, 15 GB RAM, and one physical network adapter for each Lync Server virtual machine.
• Stress-test the virtual environment and monitor the Lync performance counters prior to placing the system in production.
• Do not use Live Migration or vMotion for Lync Server virtual machines.
• Use the Standard Edition virtual topology for fewer than 2,000 users and the Enterprise Edition virtual topology for larger deployments. ...