The first step in planning for archiving in a Lync Server 2010 deployment is determining the requirements. Start by answering the following questions about the environment:
• Which sites and users in the organization require archiving support?
• Will archiving be needed for internal communications, external communications, or both?
• Should archiving include IM, conferencing, or both?
• Is archiving critical enough that IMs and conferences shouldn’t be allowed to occur if archiving is unavailable?
• How long should archived materials be retained?
Answering these questions enables you to determine how the archiving policies should be created.
Archiving policies are used by Lync Server 2010 to make decisions ...