The following are best practices from this chapter:
• Use Edge Servers to provide secure remote access for Lync Server.
• Place the Edge Servers in a perimeter or DMZ network.
• Use DNS load balancing or a hardware load balancer to provide high-availability for Edge Servers.
• Create external access policies with site-level scopes to apply automatically to users.
• Plan to use a reverse proxy server to publish external web services.
• Use DNS SRV records for routing federation requests to reduce management overhead with federation.
• Use certificates from a public certificate authority for the Access Edge and Web Conferencing Edge roles so that they are trusted automatically by remote clients and federated partners. ...