The following are best practices from this chapter:
• Mediation Servers are required for connectivity to the PSTN and Legacy PBXs.
• Deploy Mediation Server Pools for redundancy and scalability.
• Carefully consider collocating the Mediation Server with the Front End Server role. Often, unless Media Bypass is enabled, the Mediation Server should be a standalone server.
• When deploying Mediation Server roles, be sure to configure a DNS A record for each server in the pool for the pool FQDN.
• The Mediation Server must be able to connect to the Edge Server pool if deployed for all calls. This is required to allocate ports, and can result in call setup delays if not available.