When planning a basic deployment of Lync Server 203, determine whether archiving is required in the environment. Archiving, from the perspective of Lync Server 2013, is the behavior of capturing IM conversations and conference attachments and storing them in a dedicated database for long-term storage. This enables administrators to review IM conversations and to see attachments that were part of conferences. Specifically, the following types of contacts are archived by the Archive server:
• Peer-to-peer instant messages
• Multiparty IMs
• Uploaded conference content
• Conference events, such as joining, leaving, and uploading
• Audio or video for peer-to-peer IMs and conferences
• Application sharing for peer-to-peer IMs ...