Using utility actions you can easily set parameters in your workflow and change or manipulate existing values. A common case for using utility actions is to evaluate how long a workflow has been running and have that output to the history or create a summary report that is sent when a workflow completes. The following utility actions are available in all versions of SharePoint:
• Extract Substring from End of String
• Extranet Substring from Index of String
• Extract Substring from Start of String
• Extract Substring of String from Index with Length
• Find Interval between Dates
Using these actions you are able to extract data from fields in your workflow. For example you have a document with title Proposal - Company XZY. Using ...