Live-migrating virtual machines with VMM 2012 SP1
Live migration is a feature that got a huge improvement in VMM 2012 SP1 due to the following Windows 2012 capabilities:
- Live migration between two isolated Hyper-V servers (with no shared storage).
- Live migration within cluster nodes.
- Live migration between nodes of two different clusters.
- Live storage migration: You can migrate the VM files (for example, VHD/VHDX, ISO, and VFD files) to update the physical storage, or to address bottlenecks in storage performance. Storage can be added to either an isolated Hyper-V host or a Hyper-V cluster, and then the VMs can be live-migrated (moved) to the new storage.
- Live VSM: You can use live system migration (VSM) to migrate both the VM and the storage in a ...