IN THIS CHAPTER
- Understanding the different categories of virtualization
- Understanding early session virtualization
- Changing focus in corporate datacenters
- Examining the cloud and cloud services
- Meeting the needs of mobile workers
- Using virtualization to address today’s challenges
Virtualization is a somewhat broad term that has gotten even broader over time as users, organizations, and the technologies they use have evolved. This chapter starts at the beginning of the virtualization journey—my journey anyway. I share my personal experiences to not only highlight the dramatic changes that have taken place, but also to demonstrate the many features of today’s technology that still echo the ideas from over three decades ago. I discuss the ways the technology has grown, shifted, and made its way into nearly every organization and almost every aspect of our digital world. This chapter describes the main trends in virtualization over the past 30 years and provides a good background for the rest of the book, which dives deeper into Microsoft’s products in each area of virtualization.