Microsoft® Windows® Home Server Unleashed
Covers PowerPacks 1, 2, and 3!
This is the most comprehensive, practical, and useful guide to Windows Home Server, including Microsoft’s major updates in PowerPacks 1, 2, and 3. Top Windows expert Paul McFedries brings together tips, techniques, and shortcuts available nowhere else and presents them all in plain English for every Windows Home Server user.
McFedries covers all facets of running Windows Home Server: configuration, file/folder sharing, networking, media streaming and sharing, backup/restore, monitoring, Web and SharePoint site deployment, performance optimization, maintenance, and customization. He thoroughly addresses Windows Home Server’s new Windows 7 support, as well as major improvements in areas ranging from remote access to storing TV recordings.
This edition presents comprehensive, up-to-the-minute guidance on Windows Home Server security, plus a full section of advanced solutions utilizing Microsoft’s power tools, the command line, and automated scripting. Throughout, McFedries demonstrates key techniques through real-world examples and presents practical configurations you can easily use in your own home.
Detailed information on how to…
Set up Windows Home Server networks, user accounts, devices, and storage
Integrate with Windows 7’s new file libraries, backup/recovery tools, and Windows Search 4.0
Efficiently share folders, files, and digital media
Ensure security for both local and remote users
Automatically back up and restore all the computers on your home network
Quickly set up web and SharePoint sites
Tune, maintain, and troubleshoot Windows Home Server
Use the new Remote Access Configuration and Repair Wizards
ON THE WEB:
Register your book at informit.com/title/9780672331060 to access all examples and source code presented in this book.
Category: Windows Server
Covers: Windows Home Server with PowerPacks 1, 2, 3
User Level: Intermediate–Advanced
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Contents at a Glance
- Table of Contents
- About the Author
- We Want to Hear from You!
- Reader Services
- Part I. Unleashing Windows Home Server Configuration
Part II. Unleashing Windows Home Server Networking
- Chapter 6. Sharing Folders and Files on the Home Server
- Chapter 7. Making Connections to Network Computers
- Chapter 8. Streaming and Sharing Digital Media
- Chapter 9. Backing Up and Restoring Network Computers
- Chapter 10. Monitoring Your Network
- Chapter 11. Implementing Windows Home Server Security
- Chapter 12. Setting Up a Windows Home Server Website
- Chapter 13. Running a SharePoint Site on Windows Home Server
- Part III. Unleashing Windows Home Server Performance and Maintenance
- Part IV. Unleashing Windows Home Server Advanced Tools
- Part V. Appendixes
- Title: Microsoft
- Release date: April 2010
- Publisher(s): Sams
- ISBN: None