MIMO-OFDM for LTE, WIFI and WIMAX: Coherent versus Non-Coherent and Cooperative Turbo-Transceivers provides an up-to-date portrayal of wireless transmission based on OFDM techniques augmented with Space-Time Block Codes (STBCs) and Spatial-Division Multiple Access (SDMA). The volume also offers an in-depth treatment of cutting-edge Cooperative Communications.
This monograph collates the latest techniques in a number of specific design areas of turbo-detected MIMO-OFDM wireless systems. As a result a wide range of topical subjects are examined, including channel coding and multiuser detection (MUD), with a special emphasis on optimum maximum-likelihood (ML) MUDs, reduced-complexity genetic algorithm aided near-ML MUDs and sphere detection. The benefits of spreading codes as well as joint iterative channel and data estimation are only a few of the radical new features of the book.
Also considered are the benefits of turbo and LDPC channel coding, the entire suite of known joint coding and modulation schemes, space-time coding as well as SDM/SDMA MIMOs within the context of various application examples. The book systematically converts the lessons of Shannon's information theory into design principles applicable to practical wireless systems; the depth of discussions increases towards the end of the book.
Discusses many state-of-the-art topics important to today's wireless communications engineers.
Includes numerous complete system design examples for the industrial practitioner.
Offers a detailed portrayal of sphere detection.
Based on over twenty years of research into OFDM in the context of various applications, subsequently presenting comprehensive bibliographies.
Table of Contents
- About the Authors
- List of Symbols
1 Introduction to OFDM and MIMO-OFDM
- 1.1 OFDM History
- 1.2 OFDM Schematic
- 1.3 Channel Estimation for Multi-carrier Systems
- 1.4 Channel Estimation for MIMO-OFDM
- 1.5 Signal Detection in MIMO-OFDM Systems
- 1.6 Iterative Signal Processing for SDM-OFDM
- 1.7 System Model
- 1.8 SDM-OFDM System Model
- 1.9 Novel Aspects and Outline of the Book
- 1.10 Chapter Summary
- 2 OFDM Standards
Part I Coherently Detected SDMA-OFDM Systems
- 3 Channel Coding Assisted STBC-OFDM Systems
- 4 Coded Modulation Assisted Multi-user SDMA-OFDM Using Frequency-Domain Spreading
- 5 Hybrid Multi-user Detection for SDMA-OFDM Systems
- 6 Direct-Sequence Spreading and Slow Subcarrier-Hopping Aided Multi-user SDMA-OFDM Systems
- 7 Channel Estimation for OFDM and MC-CDMA
- 8 Iterative Joint Channel Estimation and MUD for SDMA-OFDM Systems
Part II Coherent versus Non-coherent and Cooperative OFDM Systems
- General notation
- Special symbols
- 9 Reduced-Complexity Sphere Detection for Uncoded SDMA-OFDM Systems
- 10 Reduced-Complexity Iterative Sphere Detection for Channel-Coded SDMA-OFDM Systems
- 11 Sphere-Packing Modulated STBC-OFDM and its Sphere Detection
- 12 Multiple-Symbol Differential Sphere Detection for Differentially Modulated Cooperative OFDM Systems
- 13 Resource Allocation for the Differentially Modulated Cooperation-Aided Cellular Uplink in Fast Rayleigh Fading Channels
- 14 The Near-Capacity Differentially Modulated Cooperative Cellular Uplink
Part III Coherent SDM-OFDM Systems
- 15 Multi-stream Detection for SDM-OFDM Systems
- 16 Approximate Log-MAP SDM-OFDM Multi-stream Detection
- 17 Iterative Channel Estimation and Multi-stream Detection for SDM-OFDM
- 18 Summary, Conclusions and Future Research
- Appendix A Appendix to Chapter 5
- Subject Index
- Author Index
- Title: MIMO-OFDM for LTE, WiFi and WiMAX: Coherent versus Non-coherent and Cooperative Turbo Transceivers
- Release date: November 2010
- Publisher(s): Wiley-IEEE Press
- ISBN: 9781119957454