Friends with Afflictive Emotions
In This Chapter
- The nature of afflictive emotions
- Using mindfulness to gain more freedom of choice when you’re feeling emotional
- Learning to question the stories behind emotions
- Dealing mindfully with obsessive emotions
- What it means to make friends with emotions
Afflictive emotions are those that tend to have a negative effect on your life. Anger and jealousy can make you act out in harmful ways you later regret. Obsessive desire can drive you to compromise your commitments and responsibilities. Fear and doubt can paralyze you. Sometimes it may seem like there are only two options: suppress or avoid ...