Logging, tracing, and metrics are essential features of any non-trivial application, for the following reasons:
- Logging tells us what the system is doing, what it is about to do, the errors it encounters, and so on.
- Tracing is about collecting transactional information about journeys and how they flow in a distributed system.
- Metrics involves getting information in real time about what is happening and possibly producing alerts from it.
In this chapter, we will have a look at some of the options we have at hand, from the simplest to the most complex.
We will cover the following topics in this chapter:
- Introducing the.NET Core Common Loggingframework
- Writing custom logging middleware
- Using tracing and diagnostics ...