Port your codebase from Java to Kotlin and enhance the UI of your app using advanced Android Architecture Components
About This Video
- Modernize your Android application with Kotlin using solid principles and common architecture patterns.
- Get equipped with the new Jetpack group of libraries including WorkManager, LiveData, ViewModel, and more.
- Reduce the lines of code and efficiently write your Android application in a modern way.
Programming Android apps can be a complex process and lack of knowledge in architecting your app can result in spaghetti code and dead ends. In order to deliver an extendable, maintainable, and testable code base, you have to think about the architecture of your application from the very first stage of your development.
In this course, you’ll take an existing Android application build in Java and modernize it using the Kotlin language, seeing the importance of planning the architecture using SOLID principles and common Android Architecture using the MVP, MVC, and MVVM patterns.
Moving on, you’ll implement Life Cycle Aware Components, use the viewmodel LiveData framework, and perform data management and persistence with the Room persistence solution. You’ll see how Kotlin efficiently accelerates the development by improving the code base. With the advanced Architectural Components, you’ll not only be able to improve the performance but also enhance the UI of your application to a whole new level.
By the end of this course, you’ll have modernized your Android app using all the new features from coding it in Kotlin to implementing Architecture Components to enhancing the UI of your app, which gives you more control on your app and makes it easy to maintain.
All the code and supporting files for this course are available on Github at https://github.com/PacktPublishing/Modernizing-your-Android-Applications
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1 : Welcome to the Cool New Android
- Chapter 2 : Measure Performance with Code Profiling
- Chapter 3 : Coddling Kotlin
- Chapter 4 : Data Storage and Management with Room DB
- Chapter 5 : LifeCycle, ViewModel, and LiveData
- Chapter 6 : Implementing Data Binding and Paging Libraries
- Chapter 7 : Scheduling Tasks Using WorkManager API
- Title: Modernizing Your Android Applications
- Release date: December 2018
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781789950502