Even if you've never used MySQL before, this Visual
QuickStart Guide will have you up and running with the
world’s most popular open source database application in no
time. In this completely updated edition of our best-selling guide
to MySQL, leading technology author Larry Ullman uses his
trademark crystal-clear instructions and friendly prose to
introduce you to everything that’s new in MySQL. Filled with
step-by-step, task-based instructions and loads of visual aids,
this book explains how to interact with MySQL using SQL, the
language common to all databases. The interface examples show how
to use MySQL’s own tools and how to use three popular
programming languages (PHP, Perl, and Java). The book covers MySQL
versions 3 and 4, as well as everything new in the eagerly
anticipated version 5. Along the way, you'll find extensive
coverage of MySQL installation, administration, database design, as
well as its use with various programming languages, database
programming techniques, utilities, advanced MySQL and SQL, and
• Takes an easy, visual approach to teaching MySQL, using pictures to guide you through the software and show you what to do.
• Works like a reference book—you look up what you need and then get straight to work.
• No long-winded passages—concise, straightforward commentary explains what you need to know.
• Affordably priced, because buying a computer book shouldn’t be an investment in itself.
• Companion Web site at www.DMCInsights.com/mysql2 contains complete source code for examples in the book, online resources, extra scripts and tutorials, updates, a reader forum, and more.