Types of Negotiation
Many Paths to a Deal
Key Topics Covered in This Chapter
- Distributive negotiation: claiming value
- Integrative negotiation: creating and claiming value
- The negotiator’s dilemma: trying to determine which game to play
- Multiphase and multiparty negotiations
There are two primary kinds of negotiation.
Chances are you have been involved in both at one time or another:
- Distributive: A negotiation in which the parties compete over the distribution of a fixed sum of value. The key question in a distributed negotiation is “Who will claim the most value?” In distributive negotiations, a gain by one side is made at the expense of the other.
- Integrative: A negotiation in which the parties cooperate to achieve maximum benefits by ...