Your Guide to Easy and Secure Windows Vista Networking is a complete beginner’s guide to creating, configuring, administering, and using a small network using Windows Vista computers. Inside you’ll find comprehensive coverage of networking hardware, including Ethernet (wired) hardware (from NICs to cables to switches to routers) and wireless Hardware--from wireless NICs to access points to range extenders.
We include handy “buyer’s guides” that tell you how to make smart choices when purchasing network hardware. With hardware in hand, we then show you how to roll up your shirtsleeves and put everything together, including configuring a router, laying cable, and connecting the devices. Next, we then show you how to wrangle with Windows Vista’s networking features. These techniques include using the Network and Sharing Center, managing wired and wireless connections, accessing shared network resources, sharing local resources on the network, and working with network files offline. And if you are a music and video aficionado, we’ve got you covered with a special chapter that shows you just how to set up a networked Vista PC as your digital media hub!
No networking book would be complete without extensive coverage of security issues that affect anyone connected to the Internet. We show you how to secure each computer, secure your global networking settings, and batten down your wireless connections. The last part of the book includes intermediate networking tasks such as
making remote connections, monitoring the network, troubleshooting network problems, and setting up Vista’s built-in web server and FTP server.
• No longer is networking a topic that only geeks need to understand.
If you have even one computer on the Internet or if you use wireless
in your home or office, you need this book!
• Extensive hardware coverage that shows you what equipment to
buy and how to set it up!
• Easy to follow buyer’s guides that enable anyone to make smart
and informed choices when purchasing networking hardware.
• Complete and comprehensive coverage of Windows Vista’s
• Thwart hackers, crackers, thieves and other Internet malefactors
by following our easy to understand chapters on security!
• Loaded with tips, tricks, and shortcuts to make networking easier
and more secure.
• Chock full of real-world examples and network configurations that
you can put to work today!
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Contents at a Glance
- Table of Contents
- About the Author
- We Want to Hear from You!
- Reader Services
- Part I: Networking Hardware for Windows Vista
Part II: Managing and Using Your Network
- Chapter 5. Working with Vista's Basic Network Tools and Tasks
- Chapter 6. Managing Network Connections
- Chapter 7. Managing Wireless Network Connections
- Chapter 8. Accessing and Sharing Network Resources
- Chapter 9. Setting up Vista as a Digital Media Hub
- Chapter 10. Taking Advantage of Your Network
- Chapter 11. Work with Network Files Offline
- Chapter 12. Collaborating with Windows Meeting Space
- Part III: Securing Your Network
- Part IV: Advanced Networking with Windows Vista
- Glossary of Network Terms
- Title: Networking with Microsoft® Windows Vista™: Your Guide to Easy and Secure Windows Vista Networking
- Release date: December 2007
- Publisher(s): Que
- ISBN: 9780789737779
You might also like
Linux® Socket Programming
This book teaches readers how to program Linux sockets, and gives them everything they need to …
You, Only Better
If you want to be happy, fulfilled and energised its probably best not to obsess over …
Fundamentals of Data Communication Networks
What every electrical engineering student and technical professional needs to know about data exchange across networks …
IPv6 for Enterprise Networks
Increasingly, enterprises that formerly shunned IPv6 are considering implementation or actively moving forward with it. IPv6 …