In this chapter, you’ll learn how to create simple shell scripts and how to automate routine operations. Before venturing in this direction, however, it is important to define and understand just what a shell script is.
This chapter looks at scripting and covers the following course objectives:
1. Use Basic Script Elements (3038)
2. Use Variable Substitution Operators (3038)
3. Use Control Structures (3038)
4. Use Advanced Scripting Techniques (3038)
5. Learn About Useful Commands in Shell Scripts (3038)
At its simplest, a shell script is nothing more than an ASCII file containing commands that the shell can run. For example, if I need to know if the user kristin is logged ...